Protect your system

Bathrooms & Kitchens

Always use a Gas Safe Registered engineer

Gas Safe Registered No. 532068. Click to Verify

Stay Gas Safe - Gas Safety Records

Gas Safety Ceritificates

Whether you're a home-owner, a landlord or a tenant, we all have a responsibility to be gas safe.

Do you live in a rented property?

Engineer servicing boilerDid you know that your landlord has legal responsibilities when it comes to gas safety?

If you rent a property, ask your landlord for a copy of the current Gas Safety record. This record shows that gas appliances have had an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer such as ourselves.

If you're landlord does not have one or cannot find it to hand, ask them to call us to arrange an immediate Gas Safety inspection on 01492 584941 or 07833 457157.

Landlords must also maintain gas appliances, so check the date when yours were last serviced as well.

Are you a landlord?

Landlords must be able to provide their tenants with an up-to-date Gas Safety record.

By law, namely the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations, landlords must have all gas appliances serviced regularly, normally once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer such as ourselves, Neil Owen Plumbing & Heating. Upon completion of the annual servicing and safety check, we will provide a Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) that will explain which appliances were checked/serviced and whether or not they meet the required standards.

What information does the Landlords Gas Safety record contain?

As a minimum, the record of a gas safety check must contain:

  • description and location of each appliance and/or flue checked
  • name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check
  • date on which the appliance and/or flue was checked
  • the address of the property at which the appliance and/or flue is installed
  • the name and address of the landlord (or his agent where appropriate)
  • any defect identified and any action required or taken to fix it
  • confirmation of the results of operational safety checks carried out on the appliances
Gas Safety Certificate


Click the image to see a sample Gas Safety Certificate




Are a gas safety check and a service the same thing?

Not quite. A service includes a thorough clean of the appliance as well as the gas safety checks.

For a gas safety check or a service, essential safety checks are done to make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use. These checks include;

  • checking the flue or chimney to make sure the products of combustion (fumes) are being safely removed to outside.
  • checking there is an adequate supply of fresh air so the gas burns properly.
  • checking the appliance is burning the gas properly.
  • checking all safety devices are working properly and shutting the appliance off if a fault occurs.

Are you a homeowner?

Gas safety records/certificates

As a homeowner, you do not have a statutory duty to undertake an annual Gas Safey inspection, however, it's important to get your appliances regularly serviced to make sure they are working efficiently and safely. You should also have a gas safety check done on all gas fittings and appliances every year.

After we have fitted or serviced your gas appliance(s), we will always leavy you with a report explaining what checks we have carried out. Depending on the work that you have asked us to carry out, this may be issued as a Gas Safety certificate in exactly the same format as that issued to landlords and tenants of rented properties.

The gas safety information tells you that the gas appliance or gas fitting has been checked to see if it is working safely and meets the correct safety standards. We will also tell you when you next need to service the appliance.

Building Regulation Compliance certificates

After we fit a new gas appliance (excluding flueless cookers), the Building Regulations in England and Wales require that the installation must be notified to the Local Authority such as Conwy County Borough Council. Only a Gas Safe Registered engineer can do this.

Once we have notified the Local Authority that we have fitted a new gas appliance in your home you will receive a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.